Tuesday, October 17, 2006

France Against Israel


Thanks to a tip from a reader I'm posting this entry from Powerline. The events in Southern Lebanon have been on the back burner lately, eclipsed by more urgent topics. The possibility of French soldiers shooting at Israeli planes was raised last summer by many people, including Le Conservateur, in an article I posted in August. He pointed to France's perversely intimate relationship with Iran as a guarantee that if fighting erupted, France would not have to face Hezbollah, but the IDF, or in this case the IAF.

Commanders of the French contingent of the United Nations force in Lebanon have warned that they might have to open fire if Israel Air Force warplanes continue their overflights in Lebanon, according to Israeli Defense Minister Peretz. So, as Charles Johnson notes, the French, having made all sorts of promises about keeping the peace but later making it clear they have no intention of disarming Hezbollah or blocking Syrian and Iranian arms shipments, have finally found someone they are willing to fight.

For his part, Peretz says his government has evidence that Syria is shipping arms to Hezbollah -- in other words, the U.N. resolution is not being enforced. He threatens unilateral Israeli action if, as seems certain, this state of affairs continues. Meanwhile, says Peretz, Israeli flights over Lebanon will continue.

Israel has fought all of the major existing Arab powers. Now, perhaps, it will find itself in armed conflict with the major emerging Euro-arab power.

Powerline uses this article in Haaretz as its source.

Regarding the shipment of arms to Hezbollah, GW reported on this last September.

2 Comments:

At October 18, 2006 5:37 PM, Anonymous W.LindsayWheeler said...

You would like to know tiberge, that I wore a kepi once. I served five months in the Legion Etrangere. I experienced many things--one of them boots that were too small. Never did get boots to fit my feet there. I then left. I had a fine time hiking down the roads of France while people were driving to work and school.

To this day I can still sing their song...but in not so good French. That picture brought back memories.

 
At October 18, 2006 6:20 PM, Blogger tiberge said...

@ w.lindsaywheeler

That's fascinating! I've never met anyone who actually served in the Legion. Ignorant as I am I didn't know the Legion was sent to Southern Lebanon - I thought it was regular French soldiers, or soldiers designated as UN peacekeepers. I guess the Legion goes everywhere.

A soldier with uncomfortable boots is a very unhappy soldier, I would think.

You must know Edith Piaf's song "Mon L├ęgionnaire."

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home