Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Special Day


Many of us spend our lives cursing our fate instead of being grateful. But the beauty of the Thanksgiving Day holiday in America is that is prods you gently into a happier frame of mind. There is as much to be grateful for as there is to fret over, but our natures (mine anyway) tend towards the negative side and we spend most of our days worrying, fearing, regretting, and imagining the worst. When I was a little girl Mother wrote this message in my autograph book (remember autograph books?):

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and see? That awful thing did not happen."

I want to thank everyone who visits this site and finds something of interest here. Without input from readers this could be an ego trip for one person. But with comments and suggestions it becomes a group effort and it forces me to aim as high as I can within my modest abilities and the restrictions of time (and age). If I don't always respond to your comments, I'm deeply sorry. Sometimes I forget, sometimes there isn't time, sometimes I find the comment long after it was posted.

I want to thank the French people for being interesting, even in their dire distress. Were it not for them, I would have absolutely nothing to say! It is they and their efforts that provide the basis for this site and so many others. France is still, at least in our memories, the center of European culture and despite everything we look forward to the time when she will once again be a sunny land of creativity, in control of her own destiny.

Image of gobbler from Xmission . The website has some wonderful vintage art.

3 Comments:

At November 23, 2006 2:09 AM, Blogger Charles Henry said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Tiberge! Hope you have a well-earned pleasant holiday and a suitably bountiful meal with your family.
Thank you for the superb job you do day in and day out at this wonderful outpost of yours, I am grateful for its existence, and appreciate the care with which you translate your posts... you set a high standard that I hope the english readers of the blog appreciate.

 
At November 23, 2006 2:33 PM, Blogger truepeers said...

Thanks much for brightening up our Thursday conversations, Tiberge. Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At November 24, 2006 10:16 AM, Anonymous W.LindsayWheeler said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Tiberge, you do excellent work! Thanks for your time and effort!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home