Friday, February 02, 2007

Sarkozy On PBS


Nicolas Sarkozy appeared on the Charlie Rose show recently and Boz has the story as well as a substantial resumé of the interview. I'm sorry I didn't see it. Charlie Rose airs at midnight here, and I'm usually in the middle of posting at that hour. I'm still completely off-schedule, and trying without much success to reset my inner clock.

Here are the opening paragraphs from Boz's summary of the interview:


1. On America.
Although Sarkozy is trying to toe a fine line in support of the US, he began the interview with a long explanation why France and the US have been friends forever, been there for each other, and are necessary allies in his vision of the future.

2. On Royal.
Sarkozy was asked about what some perceive as a faltering Segolene Royal. Sarkozy replied that he didn't want to comment, that would be arrogant, and that he wanted to win on his own merits and not the negatives of others.

3. On Fear.
Rose asked Sarkozy why at least half of France admits to being somewhat frightful of Sarkozy, and preceiving him as dangerous. Sarkozy didn't have much in response except to say that he didn't understand really understand the issue, and then wiggled his way out by saying that many of the successful French politicians in the past had been called unpopular before their success in office.

Read the rest here:

As I've done before I recommend Boz's entire blog for the latest election news. He has latest on the scandals surrounding allegations of abuse within the Interior Ministry. Most of these allegations come from Ségolène Royal.

The latest polls show Royal at 46% and Sarkozy at 54%.

Boz has also kept up with third party candidate François Bayrou, while I have concentrated heavily on Jean-Marie Le Pen and Philippe de Villiers. I know very little about Bayrou who calls himself a "centrist", which in France means "another kind of leftist." Boz has at least 17 articles under the Bayrou category. Check it all out.

The unusual photo of Sarkozy comes from MSNBC.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At February 02, 2007 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's here :

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5800622943785014797&q=charlie+rose+sarkozy

 
At February 03, 2007 1:35 AM, Blogger tiberge said...

Thanks. I'll post a link ASAP.

 
At February 03, 2007 11:16 AM, Blogger Charles Henry said...

It's a fascinating interview, but I would much prefer a version where I could just hear Sarkozy himself, and not his interpreter speaking for him.

An interesting response from Sarko in the beginning of the interview, in light of a post you had a while ago on Phillipe de Villiers and Sarkozy.
Sarkozy is asked why he wants to be president, and he says:
"Because I love my country, because I’ve always loved my country, without any calculation or reasoning, it’s an intimate, physical emotion...
We have had de Villiers state that Sarkozy himself told him the exact opposite, that he envied PDV for his patriotism.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home