Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Remembering Anne-Lorraine


I don't want anyone to think I have forgotten about Anne-Lorraine. Every time I take the wretched subway, or find myself in potential danger, as I did Monday night, walking along a suburban highway, in pitch darkness, with headlights by the hundreds coming at me, lost, until I finally found the nursing home I was looking for, every time I hear of a girl raped, or anybody attacked, I think of her, and all the others.

A year ago, November 25, 2007, she was brutally killed while alone in a subway car, on her way to meet her parents to go to church. The train with her dead or dying body passed by her parents, without them knowing what had happened.

Here's an article from François Desouche:

She was alone in the car until Thierry Dève-Oglou, 43, son of a Franco-Turkish couple, got on. Convicted in 1995 to five years for a rape committed on the same regional rail line, he was freed after two years.

Note: A reminder that the first rape was what we would call a sexual assault, where he forced a girl to perform a sexual act. For the French it constitutes rape, which certainly did not prevent judicial indulgence.

Between stations Louvres and Fosses, he attacked the girl and attempted to rape her. She fought back. He stabbed her 34 times, and killed her. Nonetheless she managed to inflict a serious wound on him which facilitated his rapid arrest.

At the time there were a few articles in the media. Two or three reports on television. No enlightened philosopher became indignant, no media bigmouth wrote an outraged pamphlet, no opportunistic politician proposed a new inapplicable law and new inapplicable penalties.

Other more urgent matters were preoccupying their minds: at the same moment, in some suburb, riots broke out on the grounds that two criminals had been killed in a motorcycle accident when they hit a police car.

Then they all went on to other things...

A reminder to French readers that there is a website devoted to Philippe Schmitt's fight, on behalf of his daughter and other victims, to prevent the premature release of sex offenders. The site has posted many commemorative articles from the French press, on this first anniversary of her death. These focus primarily on interviews with her father.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At November 29, 2008 1:38 PM, Blogger Jewel Atkins said...

Yours is a lovely site Tiberge. I see we are both members of the Infidel Blogger Alliance. Thank you for keeping us informed in the gallic corners of the world! Merci pour votre service a la liberté, ami!

 
At November 29, 2008 4:51 PM, Blogger tiberge said...

@Jewel Atkins

It's a pleasure to "meet" you. I quickly browsed through the home page of "Tasty Infidelicacies" - you are certainly a gifted satirist - with no small streak of well-salted and perfectly seasoned American tradition. Unlike your mother-in law's cooking, which sounds even worse than my own. So I am always glad to realize that there are worse things than my own mashed potatoes, which have butter and salt, but somehow lack the smoothness and fluff I am supposed to achieve. No matter, I will keep trying until I get it right, or until I use a better potato ricer.

You are in Lancaster County, not far from me. I always go to the Lancaster County Farmer's Markets that proliferate around here in the summer. And we always know it's spring when the Amish merchants return with their whoopie pies and beautiful, incredibly fresh produce.

 
At December 14, 2008 8:24 PM, Blogger Jewel Atkins said...

Ah my friend, I hope you like shoe-fly pie, because I am working on a recipe for that right now, and I think I might even enter it into a pie contest. But thank you for the kind words, I am glad you are close by!

 
At June 02, 2009 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As de Tocqueville said in Democracy in America so long ago, one of the great things about Americans is our passion for organizing. Does France have an organization like the US's Parents of Murdered Children? http://www.pomc.com/

 
At June 02, 2009 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a gun-owning American, I must point out that France has a lot of violent crime because the average citizen is **disarmed**.
In the U.S.A., forty of fifty states allow for the concealed carry of a firearm. With my three permits, I can carry in 32 states from Florida, west to Idaho, and south to Texas. The justified homicide rate in the U.S. goes up from year to year, suggesting that people are defending themselves. As Robert Heinlein (author) said: An armed society is a polite society.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home