Sunday, February 17, 2013

A long vigil (Off-topic)



If you read the rhapsodic, pained, and achingly sincere messages of love and gratitude from Lawrence Auster's highly intelligent and literate readers, you may have felt overwhelmed to the point of paralysis. I have not been able to do anything constructive today, and I fear this catatonic immobility will be with me for a while. Many who found VFR years ago were at first repelled by his intransigeant traditionalism. The first time I read him, in 2003,  I thought, "Well, he's just too conservative." The second time: "He's too conservative, but he's right." Then we were like magnets, in a one-way magnetic field - VFR that drew, I who was drawn, inexorably and happily. I believe most of his readers experienced something similar. Once addicted, there was no looking back, and no need for any other source of information about the cultural and political scene in America. The power of his deceptively simple prose was in his inherent reserve, but not in politeness per se, and never in euphemistic dodges. He did not suffer fools at all, gladly or otherwise. He had a mission which was to relieve us of our reticence, our squeamishness, our guilt - white guilt, Christian guilt, patriotic guilt, all the "guilts" we have been forced to pretend we feel over the past - what? forty-five years! Has it been going on that long? In truth much longer, but as most of you know, for me 1968 was the rupture. The Democratic Party ceased to be the party of John Kennedy and became the party of Hanoi Jane, from which point it has steadily grown stronger in its decadence, like a weed fortified, not destroyed, by cyanide. From 1968 there was no one voice to oppose the social devolution - there were many, silenced, one after the other, over the years as propaganda deftly altered the nation's moral code, until that gorgeous late summer day in September 2001, when an apocalyptic event sent spasms through our bodies and souls as we witnessed a horror from another dimension. Suddenly there were armies of voices writing in a new medium called the Internet reviving us with oxygen, enlightenment and exhilaration. But in the clamor of opinions, one voice came to stand out for its relentless commitment to truth, no matter how unpleasant, and to bold positive action no matter how arduous; for its elegance and precision, its total lack of frivolity and superfluity. "Le mot juste" applies to Lawrence. If he ever used an unnecessary word, or harbored a wrong idea, he certainly made up for it at his website.

Over the past many months, since early June when the cancer recurred after an astounding two year remission, my heart would pound every time I went to VFR, in dread. Since the end of December the news has been horrific, a nightmare of medical abdication of duty. Only recently has he had some blessed relief.

Now as his great mental powers ebb away, and they prepare his most vital organ, his brain, for radiation, his readers are living through a time of surreal tension and unbearable sorrow. Why him, of all people, they wonder. That's the point. Exceptional people are here to do a job, and are called home, for the next agenda. Why did Mozart live only thirty-five years?

So I hover between the need to stay awake and the need for sleep. And we wait for darkness, as he gradually enters the Light. This can happen at any time, tomorrow, next week, next month, or... who knows?

One of his readers says:

You converted me to traditionalism. Traditionalism gave me hope and inspired me to have a large family. There are people (my younger children—future traditionalists!) who literally exist because of you!

This reader, like many others, must be saying to himself that his and his family's tomorrows belong to Lawrence.

A love song by Sinatra may seem incongruous, but I don't think Lawrence would mind.



The photo is of a Cistercian monastery, Hore Abbey,  in Ireland near the Rock of Cashel. A charming remnant that has more life, more meaning, than most modern structures. Age has withered her a bit, but not destroyed her spirit. I know that Lawrence Auster enjoyed his trip to Ireland, way back when...

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At February 18, 2013 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful essay, worthy of the noble Lawrence.

 
At February 18, 2013 1:41 PM, Anonymous dauphin said...

I only know Mr. Auster's blog from your occasional links, but this is truly sad news, and certainly a loss for all that know him or read his blog, a loss for the resistance movement globally. I pray for him, that he might be cured, and whatever happens, that he, his family and friends be consoled by God.

 
At February 18, 2013 4:15 PM, Blogger tiberge said...

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I will keep you up-to-date on major changes in his situation.

However, please note that I made a change in the above post. The photo at the top is NOT a castle, as the photographer had said (do tourists ever really know what they are looking at?). It is the Hore Abbey. Once again, I thank Yves Daoudal, a man very familiar with Ireland, for this information. And once again, I feel humbled by my own lack of knowledge. I take partial responsibility, because I should have realized from the architecture that it had been a religious edifice. I have decided not to post this update in the body of the article. I hope everyone understands.

 
At February 18, 2013 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your beautiful and insightful words.

I can especially relate to your idea that, for the novice, VFR is at first like firewater. Then, if the reader is interested in what underlies prevailing social thought-- because he suspects something is amiss-- a process unfolds that reveals the falsehoods that have enveloped the people of the West for generations. This path of discovery was mine also.

Hannon

 
At February 19, 2013 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiberge

Laurence Auster is fearless in raising topics that many would find difficult to even read.

The only problem I have with VFR is that it is moderated, and the moderator shuts the comments section at his discretion.

This is quite unlike Gallia Watch, Vladtepes, Tundra Tabloids, UP Pompeii, and others, where the comments are truly free (no moderation, and no shut down of the subject to suit).

DP111

 
At February 19, 2013 3:49 PM, Blogger tiberge said...

@ DP 111,

Yes, but VFR is a different kind of blog. He started out with a comment feature, but had to stop it when massive spam attacks disabled him. Maybe he had other reasons as well, but for a while there were no comments, and then he began posting them again in the body of the blog, not in a comment section per se. This change from the original format proved extremely beneficial: he was able to mold his blog entries around certain themes, and to accept comments that helped advance the cause he was espousing. If he allowed in too many superfluous or repetitious or off-topic comments the blog would lose its power. The power comes from his voice. It may seem egotistical, but in this case his ego is working on behalf of principles that have an impact on the world we live in, and are not just for the satisfaction of the blogger. The only other website I know of that does this is Laura Wood's Thinking Housewife, patterned closely after VFR. I could not do that, because I could not endure the burden of having to be convincing and eloquent. So I report what others say, and allow most comments. GalliaWatch is moderated - I have had to reject hundreds of comments that are too ridiculous even for me - theoretically I would allow all comments, but you learn after a while that if you leave the door open, the insects swarm in.

 
At February 20, 2013 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tiberge

I have read VFR for many years and have had many comments posted at the site. I do like the site.

Anyway, some other time.

DP111

 
At March 18, 2013 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love and am praying for LA and his wisdom, which is, as others have said much better than I, "addictive."

But in this post, I just wanted to thank those who do moderate their comments. It is horrific to me to read an insightful, from-the-heart message of wisdom and then have it followed by a college kid screaming about racism or whatever he learned recently in his indoctrination classes. It makes me shudder to see a find mind and great ideas insulted by tiny, narrow minds who, 20 years from now, will be embaressed by what they publically expressed.

They usually end with some snarky advice like "do your homework," and although I know gteat minds probably just shake their heads and laugh ruefully, I am not at that level, and it nauseates me.

So while I understand those who don't, thanks, all you folks ho moderate, for I've seen sites like "American Thinker" go downhill over the past year or so because they allowed in the juvenile smart-asses.-

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home